Thursday, May 23, 2013

365 day challenge - day 143 / Bushido - Day 5

Bushido - Day 5

(5)  Honesty - 

Definition / Formal Thoughts
Honesty refers to a facet of moral character and connotes positive and virtuous attributes such as integrity, truthfulness and straightforwardness along with the absence of lying, cheating or theft. Honesty is revered in many cultures and religions. Honesty means being truthful, trustworthy, loyal, fair and sincere. Honesty also means straight forward conduct.

"Honesty is the best policy" is a proverb of unknown origin.
"Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom."- Thomas Jefferson.

Personal Thoughts
In high school I received/started using a Franklin Dayplanner and did an evaluation of my values and goals at that time. Upon leaving college and starting my first (salaried) job at Merrill Lynch I re-evaluated my values and goals and wrote down the values that "I have identified as significant in my life". Those were:
  • Integrity
  • Honesty
  • Sincerity
  • Respect
  • Accountability
  • Persistence
  • Order/Organized
  • Physical Health
  • Intellectual Excellence
  • Financially Secure
At the time I wrote that honesty was "tied to integrity, honesty is something that I strive to achieve every day".

Although I wrote those words almost 20 years ago, it is still something that i strive to achieve every day (i.e. the quality or condition of being honest; implies truthfulness, fairness in dealing, and absence of fraud, deceit, and dissembling; implies freedom from lying, stealing and cheating).

365 day challenge - day 143




No comments:

Post a Comment