Sunday, May 19, 2013

365 day challenge - day 139 / the number ' 7 '

I had this thought a while ago, and (finally) decided to start it today. Over the years, I've had an interest in the number ' 7 ' and all of its appearances in religion, science, entertainment (007, seven dwarfs), life (7 year itch), etc.  I'm going to begin a weekly/daily series of posts today on the number '7', including 7 deadly sins, 7 chakras, 7 days of the week...

I decided to start this series with the seven basic principles of the samurai...also known as Bushido.

The first being Rectitude (or righteousness)

Definition / Formal Thoughts

Via Wikipedia, righteousness is an important theological concept in Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism (Dharma), and Zoroastrianism (Iranian religion). It is an attribute that implies that a person's actions are justified, and can have the connotation that the person has been "judged" or "reckoned" as leading a life that is pleasing to the god(s) portrayed in these belief systems.
William Tyndale remodelled the word after an earlier word rihtwis, which would have yielded modern English *rightwise or *rightways. He used it to translate the Hebrew root צדקים (TzDYQ), tzedek, which appears more than five hundred times in the Hebrew Bible, and the Greek wordδικαιος (dikaios), which appears more than two hundred times in the New Testament.


Personal Thoughts
I can't say if I've lead a righteous life or not. Because I am a Christian, the New Testament speaks of two types of righteousness...righteousness by works and righteousness by faith. I do work hard to be a righteous person...I believe that most of the actions I've taken in my life are justified...I know I fail often, but I do try to lead a life that is pleasing to God (aka. living righteously). But the truth is, only He can determine if I've lead a righteous life.  Thus, I believe I can only be judged as being righteous or living a righteous life by God.



365 day challenge - day 139


No comments:

Post a Comment